Wednesday 10 August 2011

Keeping busy, eating well

It’s been a funny few weeks. I am based in Brixton when in London. You know what’s happened there. What is more, Go Free has exploded order-wise recently, so I have literally been working round the clock to get everything done. However, as busy as I have been, I have managed to find the time for some great food.
I recently had a lovely supper at my friend Julia’s house in Fulham. Julia is such a wonderful friend, a real inspirational, and a great cook. My friend Laura was there too. It was such a fun evening spent with two of my favourite people. We drunk Kir Royale and reminisced about when we lived in Paris. Check out this amazing chicken tagine Julia made


I seem to spend my days running around trying to fit in everything I need to do. So when I get in of an evening, I am invariably ravenous. I’m sure this is partly down to sheer greed, but there are some times when only a pizza will do. It has to be homemade. This was my supper last night. Sorry the photo is a bit blurry. I took it on my phone. You can clearly tell I was in a rush to tuck in!



Why not try and make pizza at home? It is simpler and more delicious than you’d think. Here is my fail safe freefrom recipe. N.B. I put parma ham and mushrooms on the pizza in the photo.
Free From Kitchen’s Thin & Crispy Pizza
Ingredients
-          150g Wheat and gluten free bread flour
(A blend of rice flour, potato flour, tapioca flour & xanthan gum)
-          ¾ tsp baking powder
-          ½ tsp salt
-          ½ tsp sugar
-          1 tsp Sunflower oil
-          ½ large free-range egg, beaten
-          75-110 ml lukewarm water
-          7g dried fast action yeast
Method
1)      Preheat the oven to 200°C/400F/Gas Mark 6
2)      Grease a baking tray with sunflower oil
3)      Pour the lukewarm water into a measuring jug, and stir in the sugar and yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes.
4)      Sift the flour into a bowl, add the salt and baking powder and make a well in the centre.
5)      In a separate bowl, whisk the sunflower oil and egg together until well combined, then pour into the sifted flour with the yeast mix.
6)      Mix well for a couple of minutes until the dough until the dough is smooth.
7)      Place the dough in a bowl and cover with a clean, damp tea towel or cling film and leave for twenty minutes in a warm place.
8)      Transfer the dough onto the baking tray and roll out with a rolling pin. If the dough is too sticky, you can grease two squares of greaseproof paper or sheets of cling film with sunflower oil, place the dough between the sheets of paper and roll out with a rolling pin.
9)      Bake the base in the oven for 10 minutes, remove and add your toppings and bake for a further 10 – 15 minutes until toppings are melted and bubbling and the base feels crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment